Achieving Balance: Working from Home at Express Scripts

April 29, 2013 | Allison Dietz

Many of the positions I recruit for at Express Scripts are virtual or work from home.  This is a fantastic benefit that Express Scripts and many companies offer.  Job seekers may be surprised to find out that we offer opportunities to work from home for a variety of positions, including nurses and pharmacists.  At Express Scripts, we see our ability to offer work from home options for a variety of positions as a competitive advantage when seeking talent.

It is important to point out that working from home presents its challenges and is not for everyone.  It requires you to find a balance between work and home life.  You feel the same pressures as someone who gets up and goes into the office every morning.  Employers put a lot of trust in their employees’ work ethic and sense of responsibility when they offer this option.  It is important that you understand and live up to the expectations of your job.  Make the most of the opportunity – for yourself and your employer.

So, when looking for a virtual job or considering a move to work-from-home, take your personal situation into account and assess if you have the right environment to make this work for you and your employer.  Here are some things to keep in mind about working from home:

1. It really is work.  The biggest myth is that virtual employees do less work.  My internal clients that work from home tell me that they put in extra time because they value this benefit so much.  Our employees are held to the same productivity measures whether they are in the typical work setting or at home.  Many companies that offer a virtual work environment have a policy in place; you should make sure you are familiar with your company’s policy.
  2. Be available.  Make sure you utilize communications tools – such as instant messaging – and are available to colleagues who may be trying to reach you.  It is the equivalent of someone being able to walk up to your desk at work.  Express Scripts, like many other companies moves at a fast pace and you do not want to be out-of-mind because you are out-of-sight.
  3. Be professional.  You would not have your dog barking in the background or your child clamoring for attention when you are at the office, and it is equally inappropriate at home.  You home office is an extension of your office at work.  Plain and simple.
  4. Be focused.  E-mails and phone calls when you are at the office can be distracting.  But truthfully, there are probably many more distractions at home.  Be “present.”  One way to do this is to follow the same routine you would if you were going into your work setting.  This will help you develop a “work” mindset and make sure you are performing at your best.
  5. Be realistic.  The at home setting may not be the best fit for you.  Often when I recruit for virtual jobs, I ask candidates about prior experiences working from home to understand how this has worked out for them in the past.

In summary, there are a lot of things to take into consideration when assessing a work from home opportunity.  It’s a good idea to think about these things the next time you embark on a job search.

As Jenny Foss, a recruiter, career coach and founder of the career blog JobJenny.com, points out, successfully working from home depends almost entirely on the individual.  If you are one of those people and are looking for career options that allow you to work from home, check out our current openings.

« Bust a Move| Welcome »

101 thoughts on “Achieving Balance: Working from Home at Express Scripts

1. work online from home

I’ll right away clutch your rss as I can not find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly allow me recognize in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

2. Allison

I am currently looking for a work from home pharmacist position. Do you have any information available for possible openings?

1. Jessie Wiese

Hi Allison,
      We currently have clinical positions that can be work from home or virtual, for example Clinical Account Executives. Typically we hire Staff Pharmacists in house first and then they can be considered for work from home. Feel free to visit our careers page and upload your resume in our Talent Community if you are interested in being contacted for more information. Thank you!

2. Jamie

I graduated from a fully online school of pharmacy and thus know how to balance working from home successfully. I am very interested in work from home and am thoroughly aware of what it takes to be successful in such a position. Please provide additional information on such positions currently.

1. Express Scripts

Hi Jamie. Thank you for your interest in Express Scripts. You can search and apply for telecommuting positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com. We wish you the best of luck in your career search.

3. Erin Seaberg

I am in the market for a work from home type job. I hold a bachors degree and wondered what types of jobs I could qualify for with your company. I know my bachelors is in Elementary education, but its a Seeger, right? Thank you so much.

4. Erin Seaberg

Wow! Autocorrect on my phone is insane. Bachelors is spelled incorrectly and Seeger is supposed to be degree. Technology! Ugh!

1. Deanna

I am looking for a pharmacist position in Fort Worth area. I would love to work from home but would be open to starting at Express Scripts office as well. I have sent my resume and would love to have an idea of when hiring might occur.
        Thank You!

5. Nali

Heel lo

I am already a work at home pharmacist for a reputable hospital. I have long term care and retail experience as well. Are there any w@h opportunities in Ohio

1. Express Scripts

Hi Nali. Thank you for your interest in Express Scripts. You can search and apply for telecommuting positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com.

6. Adrienne

I am currently looking for a work from home job. I have worked as a pharmacy technician in a retail chain pharmacy for 8 years, a few months ago I heard that you guys were hiring in our area for the work from home positions. What exactly is the positions you have that allow you to work from home? Also, if there is nothing in my region, Joplin, MO, can I apply for work from home in a different area?

1. Express Scripts

Hi Adrienne. Thank you for your interest in Express Scripts. You can search and apply for telecommuting positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com.

7. April Gordon

Hello, IAm currently seeking a work from home career. I have ten plus years of experience as clinical nursing medical assisting and all of the duties that come within a medical office alomd with four years experience in surgical and procedural scheduling and counseling. Most recently I have experience in health/life insurance eligibility enrollment and benefits. I am extremely interested in a work from home career to better balance my family life and really enjoy helping people and giving back at the same time.

Sincerely,

April Gordon

1. Express Scripts

Hi April. Thank you for your interest in Express Scripts. You can search and apply for telecommuting positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com. We wish you the best of luck in your career search.

8. Marisa Graham

I am looking for a stay at home pharmacist job. I have 14 years of experience in nursing home, hospital, retail and oncology clinic pharmacies. Any suggestions?

1. Express Scripts

Hi Marisa. Thank you for your interest in Express Scripts. You can search and apply for telecommuting positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com. We wish you the best of luck in your career search.

9. Anuli

I have been a retail pharmacist for about 12 years and is very familiar with MTM services, drug utilization reviews and medication adherence policies. I live in tha Atlanta area. Do you have work from home pharmacy jobs I can apply for?
    Thanks,
    Anuli

1. Express Scripts

Hi Anuli. You can search and apply for telecommuting positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com.Thanks for your interest in Express Scripts.

10. Steve

I agree 100% with your article. I worked for one of the top PBMs in the country and was actually the 1st pharmacist chosen to pilot the work-from-home program when it first began. The company chose me (promoted within) because I was on the top when it came to quality and production goals. Working from home definately has its advantages, but it also requires discipline (it is work). In fact, because of the internet lag time, I had to work 10-20% harder just to maintain my production goals. I thoroughly enjoyed the work, however, and the ONLY reason I gave it up was because I had to move. I’d like to get back into the PBM business once again, but alas, express scripts is not hiring at the moment :{

1. Express Scripts

Hi Steven. Thanks so much for the thoughtful comment. We appreciate your interest in Express Scripts. We are in fact hiring! You can search and apply for telecommuting positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com. You can also set up job alerts. We wish you the best of luck in your career search.

11. Michelle Vincent

I am currently looking for a work at home position as a pharmacist. I have a ton of experience in many areas as a pharmacist and have also worked from home for Medco pharmacy for 4 years and loved it. I had to move to Montana for my husband’s career so I had to take a Pharmacist Manager position here at Rosauers pharmacy. Please let me know what I would need to do to be able to apply for one of the work at home positions. I am very excited for the opportunity to be able to broaden my scope and do what I am happy doing and perform well at.

Thanks,
    Michelle Vincent

12. Ellen Carroll

I am looking for work at home. I am employed by an insurance company in a call center environment.
    Please let me know what work home positions are now available and what I need to do to apply.

Ellen Carroll

13. Sabin

Are work from home positions always advertised as such on the job announcements on your website? I am interested in a project management position and the positions that are most closely aligned with my skills and experiences are in Ohio and Kansas-quite a distance from Blue Bell, PA, which is where I am located. Is there any chance those positions may be work from home?

14. Xai yang

Interested in work at home jobs. Are there any positions available for pharmacy technicians in or around Fresno, Ca?

15. Kayla

I am looking for a way to put my pharmacy technicia license to use. But really need it to be from home. I am expecting my first child and want to be able to stay home with her and work at the same time. Do you have any current openings available.

16. Fariha Tasneem Ahmed

I am looking for work at home pharmacist position. I am currently studying final year of Bachelor of Pharmacy.Part time only will be very useful.

17. Jamie Selman

I am currently looking for a work from home pharmacist position, 30 to 40 hours per week. I graduated from Samford University in Birmingham, AL and I have 25 years experience ranging from retail, sterile compounding, fertility, to long term care at present. I am self motivated, hard working, and have the perfect home setting for work. Please, keep me in mind when you have any jobs available that meet my criteria. I will be glad to send a resume upon request.

18. Kimberly

I’m looking for work from home. I’m a LVN with 18 years of experience and currently enrolled in College to get my Billing and Coding associates degree.. I am very interested in Data work from himr. Please contact me.

19. Jamie

Work from home Job: Graduated Xavier University College of pharmacy 1998. Have provided top professional service through independent pharmacy relations allowing me to give personal service to patients. Have help many insurance choices, extra benefits, and counseling. Motivated and worked self supervised. Thank you

20. Jamie

I am a pharmacist with years of work at home experience as a Patient Care Liaison and completed my doctorate from home while interning > half-time and raising a family. I am thus very aware of the challenges, dedication, and discipline required to work from home. I am currently employed full-time in a pharmacy setting, but wish to return to an off-site position.

21. samantha mccaskill

hi im currently in charlotte, nc your company was supposed to come to charlotte on the 16th of june but never came maybe there was a mixup between you guys and the unemployment office however you guys just posted a position a couple of days ago…my question to you is when is the company coming to charlotte yes i have applied for a position there and i have worked there before through contract…thank you

22. Robin

I would like to work for Express Scripts at either the Philadelphia or Blue Bell locations.I have 19 years experience, 2 years commercial and 17 years medicaid. I have worked with providers and members and also with the pharmacy department doing prescription authorizations in the Pa and other states. during my 17 years with the medicaid company I worked from home as a telecommuter for 9 years.I will continue to check your job postings regularly. Thank you

23. Missy

I wasn’t able to find the advance search options. I’m in Oregon and would love to find a work at home job. I have worked at home for 9 years before I went to school. I did tons of call center jobs from home. Any information would be great!

24. JoAnna

What are your at home positions listed under? Do they state at home in the job description and if I’m looking for work in Joplin Missouri would it be listed under Joplin or a different location?

25. DeLisa H

I worked in a retail pharmacy setting for 14 years.Currently i am looking to continue in the same field but would prefer to do it from home.I believe this would work out well.I am very interested in this unique job opportunity and to get back to a profession that i loved as well

26. julie wan

Hi,
    I’m interested in your work from home pharmacist position. I am licensed in CA. Am I eligible? Thanks

27. Deanna Schneider

I want more than anything to work from home. I have 20 years experience in retail and hospital combined. I am currently licensed in good standing in Texas.

28. Kennie Ellis

I have medication therapy management experience and prior authorization experience. I also work from home. I’m interested in applying for this position.

29. Kennie Ellis

30. Edward Hollander

I have 7 months experience in Pharmacist Verification. I am looking for a part time position about 24 hours per week. I have excellent customer service skills and over 20 years of experience. I am not able to work in a regular pharmacy because I have a disability.

31. Michelle Arellano

Good evening, I’m a pharmacy tech with 6 yrs of experience and current CA and national license. Is there any position open at the moment ?? Thank you

32. Amy Parent

I am interested in working from home. I am a certified pharmacy tech. I’ve been certified since 2000 and worked in retail since 1999. I have great customer service skills and data entry.

33. Tabatha Brown

I am a nationally certified pharmacy technician. I have worked retail for the past 11 years. Due to medical limitations I can no longer work in retail setting. I am very good at my job and a master at helping with insurance issues. Would like to know if there is a way to do this from home. 1-717-330-5261

34. carlyn davenport

I am interesting in position just graduated from ultimate medical academy in medical billing and coding.
    My name is Carlyn Davenport.

35. Samantha Baker

HI I am currently looking for work at home pharmacy tech positions, in need of working from home, are there any positions, I would like more information if there is any, thanks

36. Gin Weaver

I am currently on personal leave from Accredo.. In my department there is not any positions to work at home. My husband can not be left alone but is very much mobile and on his own. I have been told that there is a position for manual claims that I would be qualified for but can not find anything that is in the Memphis area. However I have been told that you can do this from anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction.

37. Michelle Miller

I am interested in getting more information about a pharmacist position. I do have 20 years experience from hospital, chain and an independent setting which is hard to beat but I would like to see what this job entails

38. Naomi Michael

I’m looking for a job I can do from home. I take care of my sick grandpa. I’ve been a CPhT for almost 11 years. I’ve worked in California and Oregon. I’ve understood insurance really well. When I worked in California I was a tech and insurance specialist. For the last 10 months I’ve been a tech check tech verification tech. Really looking for a work from home job

39. Kay

I am an LPN in New York state. My current nursing job includes being a script nurse. Does your company have such a position but work from home.

40. Kelley B

I am a pharmacist in Arkansas looking for a full time pharmacist position at home. I have 17 years experience, 7 in hospital and 10 in chain retail. Please contact me if there are any job opportunities with your company matching this description. Thank you.

41. Rebecca

I would be interested in a telecommute position. I have excellent customer service and great telephone skills. Are there any patients advocate positions located for around Joplin MO?

42. Anders Johnson

I would be very interested in founding out what options here are for a work from home pharmacist. I am currently licensed and living in Montana.

43. vimit_patel2005@yahoo.com

I have a 9 years experience in hospital and retail pharmacy as a pharmacy technician. I am also board certified. Are there in any work from home positions?

44. DeVontra

I’m looking to work from home as a pharmacy tech. I’ve worked in this field for 10 years. Do you guys have anything available?

1. Jessica Merkt

Hi DeVontra. Thank you for your interest in Express Scripts. You can search and apply for any of our open positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com. We wish you the best of luck in your career search.

45. Heather Kemper

I have worked in retail pharmacy for two years now and am looking for a part time pharmacy work to offset income. I came across your add and am interested in part time from home. Would like to know more and if there are any available positions for Bakersfield, California available

1. Jessica Merkt

Hi Heather. Thank you for your interest in Express Scripts. You can search and apply for any of our open positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com. We wish you the best of luck in your career search.

46. Jennifer

I recently moved to Seattle WA from Phoenix AZ and I use to work from home as a Prior Auth Rep for a company called APAC. I would like to if there is a website so that can I apply. The nearest location that I am aware of is 4 hrs away. I really would like to work for ES again. I love the people and staff. Please advise if any suggestions.

1. Jessica Merkt

Hi Jennifer. Thank you for your interest in Express Scripts. You can search and apply for any of our open positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com. We wish you the best of luck in your career search!

1. Express Scripts

Hi Ilana. Thank you for your interest in a pharmacist position with Express Scripts. You can search and apply for any of our open positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com. We wish you the best of luck in your career search!

47. Susan Messinger

I have 30 years retail office experience. I sm currently working in a retail pharmacy and would love to work from home.I prefer working as part of a team doing assignments independtly.

1. Express Scripts

Hi Susan. Thank you for your interest in Express Scripts. You can search and apply for any of our open positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com. We wish you the best of luck in your career search.

48. mary

I am looking for part time at home work evenings and weekends. I have worked in a mail order pharmacy years ago, as well as customer service, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, etc

1. Express Scripts

Hi Mary. Thank you for your interest in Express Scripts. You can search and apply for any of our open positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com. We wish you the best of luck in your career search.

1. Express Scripts

Hi Latoya. Thank you for your interest in Express Scripts. You can search and apply for any of our open positions by using the advanced search feature on our career site: careers.express-scripts.com. We wish you the best of luck in your career search!

49. Laurie Garcia

Hi im interested in a pharmasist position work from home im a people person have 30 yrs experience in marketing management and customer service the company i worked for for 27 yrs closed there doors so now would like to do a at home job if u have any available where do i apply

50. Ginger

Hi I am a certified pharmacy technician who just finished mtm classes. Do you have any work from home jobs for pharmacy technicians?

51. Kim Enderle

I am looking for a telecommute pharmacy technician job. I am a certified Pharmacy Technician currently working at an independent retail pharmacy. I have worked in the field for 10 years and would like to transition to a work from home position.

52. Hugo Jimenez

Hi
    I’m a certified pharmacy tech. How can I apply for the work at home position ? I can’t find the advance search feature

53. Cathy criste

Hello. I am a pharmacist with over 15 years of experience, and due to relocation I have been out of work for two and a half years, due to market saturation. I have applied to several jobs and never hear anything back, including to express scripts. I would love the opportunity for a job, what do I need to do?

54. vasshale blacknall

I’m a certified pharmacy technician with 7 years experience at retail pharmacies….do you have any work at home positions for me???