Going the Extra Mile for Troops Far From Home
January 19, 2018 | Express Scripts
Michelle H. is an account executive supporting the Department of Defense.
On Pearl Harbor Day, I had the pleasure to represent Express Scripts to hundreds of servicemen and women and their families at the Family Readiness Pre-Deployment Workshop for the USS Carl Vinson. The Vinson, one of the Navy’s three Nimitz-class supercarriers, is a floating air base that can hold 90 aircraft and more than 5,000 sailors. While it was formerly docked in San Diego, it set sail earlier this month. As I provided information and answered questions about the TRICARE Pharmacy Benefit, I was able to share just how far an Express Scripts prescription can travel. Thanks to our Deployed Prescription Program (DPP) we go the extra mile — or miles.
We understand preparing for deployment is challenging for the ship’s team and stressful for the sailors’ families. Fortunately, no matter where the ship is headed or how long it will be at sea, those onboard don’t have to worry about running out of medicine. When a service member needs a new prescription or a refill, the DPP can deliver medicine anywhere in the world, even to the middle of the ocean.
Here’s how the DPP will fill prescriptions for service members aboard the Vinson:
- An Express Scripts pharmacist will process the order.
- We will package the medicine at our St. Louis, MO or Tempe, AZ, pharmacy. Standard prescription bottles will be topped with a special cap that is laser-engraved with a flag and the words “Thanks for your Service.”
- The medicine will be shipped through the postal service to the fleet post in San Francisco.
- From San Francisco, the medicine will be flown overseas to a location relatively close to the Vinson, such as Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- The prescription will be loaded on a C-2 Greyhound aircraft along with other mail bound for the ship, such as letters and packages from home.
- The aircraft then will fly over the sea, often 100 miles or more, to land on the flight deck of the Vinson.
- A few hours later, the medicine will be in the hands of the service member who ordered it.
We take pride in our ability to deliver for our service members and their families. As a veteran of the US Navy myself, I was honored to be aboard the USS Carl Vinson sharing the benefits my company has to offer.
Ready to go the extra mile in your career? Check out our career site for a full list of our open positions.« Finding My Path: 3 Pieces of Advice I Would Give My Younger Self| Spotlight on Site: An Update on Austin 365(ish) Days Later »